Penewobikong Lodge No. 487 History


Penewobikong Lodge No. 487 has now been a fixture in Blind River for over 100 years. Prior to 1908, the masons of Blind River fell under the jurisdiction of  Dyment Lodge No. 442 in Thessalon. In those days, this meant long and arduous journeys, sometimes by boat, to participate in lodge functions.

The Blind River contingent, wanting a lodge of their own, finally persuaded Dyment Lodge to recommend to Grand Lodge that a dispensation for a lodge in Blind River be granted. Thus on March 9, 1908, Penewobikong (the aboriginal word for Blind River) Lodge No. 487 was instituted, with their charter being granted on July 22, 1909.

But it wasn’t until 1928 that the lodge was able to have its own building on the site where it now stands. Accordingly, on October 22, 1928 the new lodge building, at 17 Hanes Avenue, was duly dedicated. It has been their home for over 90 years.

Since the heady rush of those early years, the fortunes of the lodge have closely mirrored the rise and fall of Blind River’s prosperity. As the demand for lumber in the early years fluctuated,  and lumber mills have come and gone, so too has Penewobikong Lodge traveled through periods of despair and celebration.

Now, in the early days of the 21st century, the lodge and its dedicated membership still work hard at the ideals that are the framework of our fraternity. We are an integral part of the town and the charities and organizations we support recognize the value of our brotherhood.

In 2008 we celebrated our centennial with the M.W. Bro Allan J. Petrisor, Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Canada in the Province of Ontario, as well as many Grand Lodge officers, and distinguished guests, who were in attendance.